|Monsters' Den Godfall|
|Release date(s)||July 6, 2017 (Steam)|
|Rating(s)||Mostly Positive (76%) (Steam)|
Monsters' Den: Godfall is a new downloadable game for Windows and Mac. It was Kickstarter-funded and was released on July 6, 2017 for Steam.
Players are free to explore wherever they with but traveling takes time and their Company has expenses to meet. Random encounters give players an opportunity to investigate nearby activity while traveling. The outcome could be good or bad, and it may be difficult to tell which it will be. Canny travelers will know when to take the risk. Missions will lead the Company to new dungeons in the world. These dungeons are procedurally generated, and no two are quite alike. As well as different layouts, enemies and treasures, dungeons can have powerful Modifiers that change the way they play. For instance, the Dark modifier stops the player from seeing the composition of enemy groups, forcing them to enter combat blind.
Player characters start as one of five classes. Each class has two distinct skill trees. Each tree includes active skills which are used in combat, passive skills with special benefits, and fighting styles for extra flexibility.Focusing on skills from one tree or the other can eventually allow a character to specialize into a subclass. There are also rumors of advanced classes with unusual and powerful combinations of skill trees. Characters also increase in power by acquiring better equipment. There are many types of equipment, in varying grades of rarity. Common magic items have random bonuses while high end gear is special and unique. Equipment can also be enchanted in many different ways. The loot mechanics and interface are designed to remove tedium and smooth out gameplay. Items can be sold at any time, and smart loot settings can let the game do the work for you.
- A turn-based role playing game focused on dungeon crawling and advancement.
- Found and manage a Mercenary Company. Maintain a roster of heroes, upgrade your keep and adopt doctrines for universal bonuses.
- Take direct control of a party of up to four adventurers to lead on missions.
- Battle groups of enemies in turn-based tactical combat.
- Procedurally generated dungeons, loot and missions.
- Overland travel- visit new cities and dungeons, search ruins and find hidden places of interest.
- Improved character advancement means increased freedom to personalize your team of heroes.
- Hundreds of unique items that can be customized with enchantments.
- More than 100 enemy types, each with unique skills requiring different tactical approaches.
- Random dungeon modifiers add new wrinkles to each mission.
- Story missions uncover the mysteries of the Godfall.
In the beginning, there were many gods until war came to heaven. One by one, the gods fell. Each Godfall brought with it a fierce meteor shower, as well as the sudden deaths of their worshippers. As the gods continued to fall and entire kingdoms were brought to ruin by the sympathetic deaths of the devout, many renounced their faith in the hope of being spared. Without divine protection, large numbers succumbed to possession and corruption as the demonic powers forced their entry into the world. Now, there is but one god. Her clerics exert dominance over the human remnants, ruling with an iron fist. Nomadic greenskin tribes pillage and burn their way across the land. Ambitious necromancers harvest the bones of fallen civilizations to amass undead armies of incredible size. The human heretics of the Cult of the Outward Path seek to break free from this world, risking it in the process. The dwarves of the Earthern Nations burrow ever deeper, trying to escape the madness of the surface world. Horrors wait there in the depths, ready to boil out and claim the old places. And all the while, sinister forces yet unseen lurk in the shadows and lay their plans. The fate of humanity hangs by a thread. Business is booming.
Fifty years after the last Godfall, the Winnowing of humanity has passed. The survivors and their descendants struggle to survive and rebuild in a world whose balance has dramatically shifted against them.
When members of your Company level up, the Company earns some experience. When enough experience is earned, the Company itself levels up. This represents the institutional knowledge and wisdom of the Company as a group. At each Company Level, the player may select a Doctrine from a new category.
Doctrines are bonuses that help to specialise your Company. They represent different ways that the Company can be managed and focused. There are six categories, with three Doctrines in each. Only one Doctrine in each category can be selected, although the selection can later be changed for a price.
For example, in the category Missions, the options are:
- Back Channels: More missions are available to choose from each month.
- Mission Planning: Increases the number of missions that can be accepted at once.
- Bounty Hunting: Increases the gold earned from bounties. Reduces the Influence cost to request bounties.
Each of the (currently seven) human factions in the game holds an opinion of your Company. This opinion can go up or down depending on your actions, but most commonly by completing missions that impact on their interests. At certain thresholds of reputation, each faction can extend additional perks to the Company.
Other than Gold, Influence is the most important resource in the game. Influence represents favours owed and the ability to convince others to do what you need. It is mostly earned though completing missions, and can be spent on numerous things.
The Keep is the home base of your Company, and provides several unique services. The range of services can be increased through construction of new buildings within the Keep. These buildings are powerful, but require Influence to build and have an ongoing gold upkeep cost. Some of the construction options include:
- Quartermaster: a special shop that allows you to purchase rare and otherwise unavailable items using Influence.
- Reliquary: allows items with Relic stats to be installed, providing their bonuses to the whole Company. (I wrote about this years ago, it’s still in the game).
- Library: allows research into the location of unique Artifacts, generating quests to retrieve them.
- Callstone: enables the party to teleport directly back to the Keep from the field.
Monster's Den: Godfall on Kickstarter
Monster's Den: Godfall on Steam Greenlight